Tuesday 30 July 2013

A letter to Alan Shatter

from: Laura Lee
to: alan.shatter@oireachtas.ie
date: 30 July 2013 12:47
subject: Proposed changes to legislation on paid sex

Dear Mr. Shatter,

I am an independent Irish sex worker of some twenty years experience.

I began my career in Ireland and worked all over the country in hotels, flats and massage parlours. I worked in Dublin at the same time as Rachel Moran and can speak to the realities of the industry, both then and now.

The further criminalisation of the sex industry in Ireland is dangerous, I know first hand of the damage the 1993 Act did and I simply can't sit back and watch it happen all over again. I have long considered the implications of such a move on my part, when my own family have asked me to take a step back from Irish politics. I can't, it's too important.

I don't have an agenda, or a book to sell. I'm just passionate about the rights of sex workers and their continued welfare. I ask that we meet, at a time and place of your choosing. I am now Glasgow based and an hour's flight away. It has never been more important to consider the position of those who will be most influenced by any change to the law. I look forward to hearing from you.

Is mise le meas,

Laura Lee

2 comments:

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.